After last night’s hacking of the pMachine blog, I decided it was time to move over to a blogging system that is still supported so I installed WordPress on the server and migrated the old content. This wasn’t a trivial process since there is no pMachine-to-WordPress import script shipped with WordPress but I found one on the web and, after a bit of hacking and several cleanings of the WordPress database, I’ve managed to get things up and running to a point where I can publish the site and redirect the existing URL.
There are a few things that the import process lost, unfortunately. If you registered as a user on the old blog, I no longer have your registration and you will need to register again – sorry. Also, the RSS feed URL has changed so you will need to update your reader if you read the blog that way. The most obvious change is that the layout is now different due to the fact that I am using a canned theme for now and have not had time to edit this to include all the graphics and widgets I want to show. This will evolve over the next few weeks.
Hopefully this change will allow me to add more useful content on the blog home page and support comments, trackbacks and pingbacks better than I could on pMachine. I also hope that the pMachine RSS feed problems will no longer be seen. Fingers are crossed!